A close call for a south side family. They were taken to hospital showing the ill effects of carbon monoxide poisoning on Friday morning. A faulty furnace in the Palms complex, a government run housing co-op at 105 street and 38th avenue, was to blame.
“There was a carbon monoxide concern,” said Greg Dewling, the CEO of Capital Region Housing. “The furnace that was in the suite was quite old and had emitting carbon monoxide and the family fell ill by that. Right now we know the family is on the way home. They appear to be fine, so that’s good news, and the furnace that was in there has been replaced and a new sensor has been installed.”
The family was treated at hospital and due home late Friday afternoon. In the meantime, Dewling said they’re already working on getting upgrades for the rest of the complex.
“At this stage we don’t have a concern. I know we were quite pleased with some recent announcement, of federal and provincial money to upgrade. We do that on a regular basis so we’ll identify this location as a priority to ensure that the remaining furnaces in the town homes are upgraded in short order.”
‘This is a rare occurrence,” Dewling said. “We regularly upgrade our furnaces. Obviously, this one hadn’t been upgraded yet so it was taken care of right away.” (Global News/sj/km)