After a couple of recent carbon monoxide poisonings around Edmonton, experts are reminding you to not only have CO detectors, but make sure they are working properly.
Jared Anderst with ATCO Gas told 630 CHED’s Ryan Jespersen that carbon monoxide leaks are rare but can be deadly.
“If carbon monoxide has ever ended up in your home, in your place of business or in the air you’re breathing it’s safe to say something out of the ordinary has happened,” Anderst said. “It is relatively uncommon, it happens for various reasons and to various severities.”
Anderst recommends you have a CO detector on every level of your house, preferably right outside of bedrooms.
He added that it’s not only important to own detectors but to also make sure they are running properly.
“A lot of manufacturers recommend you clean off the face of the unit by vacuuming it every month,” Anderst said. “A lot of them (also) say ‘we want you to test this thing.’ There will be a little test button (on the monitor), you’re going to hit that and it will run through a self-diagnostic.”
Anderst said it’s important also not to throw out the little paper instruction guide that comes with your monitor.
He also added there’s one place you might not think about it installing CO detectors, in your garage.
“We love to idle our vehicles to warm them up in the morning,” Anderst explained. “Someone might have (a remote starter), they start their vehicle and they mean to lift the garage door, but they run back inside because they’ve forgotten something. Or maybe they do life the garage door and the wind is just right and it keeps the vehicles exhaust inside the garage. There is carbon monoxide in that.”
Anderst says it’s much safer to back your vehicle out into the driveway to let it warm up.