EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to incorrect information from Alberta Justice, this article, published on March 1, 2017, originally stated the November 2016 charges against Melissa Suley had been withdrawn. Alberta Justice later clarified to say that although the original charges were withdrawn, more charges have been laid against Suley. However, Alberta Justice was not able to confirm how many and which charges she now faces.
An Edmonton dayhome operator accused of child abandonment now faces more charges in the case.
On Wednesday, Alberta Justice said the November 2016 charges against Melissa Suley had been withdrawn in order to lay additional charges. However, the department was unable to confirm what charges and how many she now faces.
Watch below: On Dec. 14, 2016, Quinn Ohler filed this report after criminal allegations were made against an Edmonton dayhome operator.
On Nov. 30, 2016, Suley was charged with five counts of child abandonment and while police never released details about what led to the charges, a group of parents told Global News their kids were left alone in a locked basement at her private, unlicensed dayhome.
“I couldn’t believe that anyone in their right mind could do that to a child, let alone five,” Gordon Patzalek, whose two children were in Suley’s care, said at the time.
Global News has reached out to Alberta Justice officials in an attempt to determine the number and nature of charges Suley is now facing.
-with files from Quinn Ohler and Caley Ramsay.