Fire investigators are trying to find out how a fire started in the basement of a vacant bungalow in Westmount.
The first report of the fire came in around 5:30 p.m. about a fire in the area of 107 Avenue and 125 Street.
“Smoke has been reported via a neighbour coming through the chimney of a home that was vacant at the time. And because they knew that the house was vacant they were concerned it may be a fire,” said Edmonton Fire Rescue spokesperson Sarah Meffen.
“This is an older home, it is a bungalow, so for a fire to spread from basement to attic is not unusual in that case.”
Meffen said at one point, 28 fire fighters and three trucks were on scene. The fire was under control with crews dealing with a few hot spots as 9:40 p.m. Saturday.
No one was injured and there is no estimate on damage. (djs)