A woman was taken to hospital for observation after a fire broke out in a homeless camp in the river valley Wednesday morning.
Shortly before 10 a.m., fire crews received reports of black smoke coming from an area off Saskatchewan Drive near 99 Street.
Five units, including 12 firefighters, were called to the scene. Shortly before 11 a.m., several firefighters remained on scene.
It’s not known how the fire started but a spokesperson with Edmonton Fire Rescue Services said there was debris and propane tanks in the area.
Hazmat crews were called in to “address the propane tanks,” Maya Filipovic said.
Filipovic said it’s not known if the woman’s injuries were directly related to the fire.
Capt. Bruce McWhinnie with Edmonton Fire Rescue Services said the fire proved a bit challenging because of where it was located.
“We had to wade ourselves through the dense brush to gain access to it,” he said. “Getting water and extinguishing agents is another issue we had.”