Subscribe to channel
Click here to email Thomas Dias
The province is investigating after a patient at an undisclosed private care facility in southern Alberta was scalded in a bathtub.
The patient, described only as male, suffered burns and blisters earlier this week to the legs and buttocks.
And the minister responsible for persons with disabilities is wondering how this could be possible.
Frank Oberle says since a fatality as a result of a scalding in a care facility in 2011, they've spent about $2-million to have 2,000 temperature control devices installed in care homes across the province, along with training 850 staff members in their use.
"In the situation that happened this week there was a temperature controlled device installed on the site, the staff were trained in its use," remarked Oberle. "There were proper bathing protocols and the staff were trained in their application. And those bathing protocols were posted in the bathing sites."
Oberle says he's astounded and saddened that the person was scalded, but with an investigation underway, it appears that all the appropriate precautions were taken.
"The report that came out from the fatal scalding that we had is the installation of actual regulations. We've been scrambling to get this equipment in place and to get the training in place. The regulations are also in place, they come into force this month and we'll be doing inspections in accordance with those regulations." (td/gb)
Return to previous page
Send to a friend